Most businesses use shelves to store goods and materials, and racking units are often used for storage in warehouses and factories, typically in conjunction with pallets.
Shelving and racking must be suitable for its purpose and installed and maintained properly. Ensure that:
- floors are sound and level
- manufacturer’s installation instructions are followed
- where shelving or racking needs to be fixed to a wall, the wall can support the load
- where appropriate, special safety ladders are provided to avoid people climbing on shelving
- units are spaced correctly to allow easy access for staff and, if necessary, mechanical-handling equipment such as forklift trucks
- shelves and racks are properly aligned and goods don’t overhang shelves
- correct maximum loads for racking are displayed
- personal protective equipment is used where necessary
- items are stacked correctly – heaviest at the bottom where possible
- materials that employees frequently need are readily accessible – for example, not above head height
- Check shelving and racking units regularly for any obvious signs of physical or chemical damage.
If pallets are used with racking units, the following should be avoided:
- using a pallet which can’t cope with its load
- poorly designed or constructed pallets
- using damaged pallets
- using the wrong type of pallet for the racking system used or the material or substance stored
- poor handling of pallets
Great choice of Shelving
PARRS offer a wide range of shelving and racking for you and your business, whether you are searching for light or medium duty shelving for your office space, galvanised steel shelving or plastic shelving for your cold stores, archive shelving for storing old documents and record or heavy duty pallet racking for your warehouse, you will find it here. Keeping your business equipment organised is easy to do with the right shelving, choose from a range of storage solutions here at PARRS.